SAP HANA DYNAMIC TIERING –FUTURE DEFACTO STANDARD SAP IN-HOUSE DATA AGING SOLUTION – Part 1
This article will act as a Quick Guide for SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering sharing insights on leveraging SAP HANA to store and access cold/warm data without an external nearline storage solution. Customers adapted to HANA are now seeing the best data management & processing speeds with in-memory solution.
What if: your HANA data keeps growing rapidly?
What if: your HANA In-memory footprint growing towards allocated limit?
What if: your HANA complains out of memory issues?
What if: business needs more years of data for reporting & analytics ?
What’s next ?
Solutions for these questions can be justified with SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering – a native SAP Big Data solution to extend & enhance HANA In-memory capabilities by reducing HANA memory footprint in case of BW on HANA & for native HANA scenarios.
What is SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering ?
SAP HANA Dynamic Tiering is native Big Data solution (SAP in-house) to handle large enterprise data without external storage systems. Dynamic Tiering uses HANA DB columnar Disk space instead of In-Memory to store data in tables based on SAP IQ smart column store technology. Dynamic tiering is a deeply integrated, high performance solution in a single/scale out systems that can handle datasets from terabytes to Petabytes.
Data Aging & Data Temperatures in HANA
What is your data temperature Value?
FACTORS FUELING DYNAMIC TIERING
Risk & Complexities
Approx, $15K per TB Disk Size
Huge savings in terms of Licensing & storage over the time
Upto 13X faster* (Compared to other non-sap tools)
No Migration necessary
Native Big data solution. Reliable solution in future for SAP HANA
AREAS RELEVANT FOR DYNAMIC TIERING:
GOALS & CONSIDERATIONS FOR DYNAMIC TIERING
- Future SAP in-house solution
- manage HANA memory footprint for BW on HANA & native HANA scenarios
- Cross enterprise transparency with EDW
- Manage data cost effectively without affecting SLA’s.
- Reduced TCO in terms of storage & external integration tools.
- Performance Optimized & Centralized control – all in one single Database.
- No need of additional 3rd party integration tools.
- Cost of Read/Write operations on database is relatively low/normal.
- No need for warm data tables to be in memory. Main memory will be used for caching & processing when accessing warm data.
FEW TECHNICAL INSIGHTS
- Extended tables schema will be part of catalog.
- Creating indexes on extended tables can enhance performance.
- Update & query warm tables seamlessly just like in-memory tables.
- Extended tables can be used in Calculation views for reporting purposes.
- Performance optimized Calculation & processing engines
- Parallel query processing when data has to be processed from hot & warm stores
- Hot Data for daily reporting & warm data for periodic use.
- Customers can retain more years of data for compliance purposes & appropriate historical data can be retrieved for reporting whenever necessary.
To be contd ..
Let Tek Analytics Implement the solution for you. Please contact us @ firstname.lastname@example.org
NAVEEN MANNE @ Tek-Analytics
SAP BIG DATA & ADVANCED ANALYTICS|SAP HANA